11.9.13

Black Stork at Rutland Water

I went with a friend to Rutland Water in August. I was hoping to see a Black-necked Grebe which had been sighted in the last few days.When we looked at the sighting board it listed Garganey 1, Juv little gull and a Common Scoter, sadly we did not see any of these birds but I did get my second sighting this year of a  Ringed Plover (as I had been busy with Ringing and jobs at home) which was nice. Also we saw what we think was a Juvenile Black Tern . Then moving to my favourite hide at Rutland Water, Shoveler hide, we saw Ruff, 20+ Green Sandpiper, Snipe, Black-tailed Godwit and a Male Sparrowhawk, which set everything of in the air, it was like watching a Knot spectacle on a estuary. Then when things started to calm down there were two birds flying towards me, on the left was the common Grey Heron but on the right was what at first we thought was a  Common Crane, so there is me shouting out 'Common Crane!' And two people just about to walk out of the hide and look at me as if "really a common crane in the East Midlands yer right" and then walked out. But after taking some photos, it showed a white underside on the belly and a straight red bill and looking in a field guide we decided it was a Black Stork. It was to be the 2nd ever County Record. Going back to the main center we spoke to Tim Apellton who had also seen it, but I was the 1st to see it, because it had been reported a further 15 mins after we had seen it, but no one else had photographed it meaning I was the only person to do so. But the Black Stork sighting in Bosworth a further 22 years before hadn't been photographed so I was the only person ever to photograph a Black Stork in Leicestershire and Rutland.  
Black Stork at Rutland Water

1 comment: