19.2.14

Rutland Water Birding


As so far this year I haven't been anywhere, I went with my friend Sam to Rutland for about 5 hours to see what we could see.

Stock Dove in the Garden before we left
We got to Rutland Water at around 10am hoping for some good birds, at the visitor centre we got Thousands of Lapwings, a possible Med Gull and a hybrid Canada Goose x Barnacle Goose. Then headed to Lagoon 3, on the way we had to paddle through 3 very deep puddles, when we eventually got their soaked up to the ankle :-(, Sam found a Female Sparrowhawk and a Male Smew. Then went to Lagoon 4 and I found possibly Rutland Water's 2 Ringed Plover this year, at another hide on Lagoon 4 Sam found, too my information Rutland Water's first Green Sandpipers of the year.
Female Sparrowhawk  
The Ringed Plover


Little Egret and Green Sandpiper
Little Egret and Green Sandpiper

After lunch we headed off Lax Hill and the new lagoons, I have never been around there before, I was pleasantly surprised of what it had to offer, along the track we picked a pair of Goldcrests, a lovely rabbit and a flock of Long-tailed Tits.
Rabbit

  Then at Robin hide there were some feeders. Which were packed with Greenfinches, Chaffinches and Reed Buntings.

Greenfinches and Reed Buntings

Just before we packed up we headed to the Feeders at Egelton centre and found a female Chaffinch with a broken leg and a Lesser Redpoll popped in.



Chaffinch with a broken leg
Lesser Redpoll
Thank you for everyone who has put a comment into my latest Quiz, I will reveal the answer on Friday as I'm busy on Saturday

No comments:

Post a Comment